Annual Report 2022
Strategic Priority Actions
During 2022, our researchers took advantage of the multiple Proof of Concept calls at regional, national and international level. Those projects will increase the Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of our technologies, making them more attractive for companies and investors.
We had 3 Proof of Concept from the Agencia Estatal de Investigación (AEI), 4 Proof of Concept from the ERC, and 6 Proof of Concept from AGAUR (Catalan Agency) awarded, four of them in the “Producte” category and two of them in the “Llavor”. The total funding of the projects was close to 1.5M €.
In 2022, we filed 6 priority patent applications, covering the 3 application lines of the Institute’s research: sustainable energy, low-cost and efficient electronics and smart nanomedicine and health.
We created one spin-off, Molecular Gate. The company is developing a new technology for patterning organic semiconductor films. Its first product will be an anti-counterfeiting marking system. In 2022, the R+D services and agreements reached a total funding of 410.000€ and we signed 19 NDA/MTAs with different collaborators, companies and laboratories.
One of our technologies was presented in Transfiere 2022, thanks to the Energy for Society Network (XRE4S). We also participated in the Lab-to-Market program of the XRE4S with a new technology to manufacture superconductors, and participated at the FGCSIC-COMTE innovation program with another of our technologies.
We continued our activity as part of the Advanced Materials Cluster (Cluster MAV), organizing, for example, the event on “Materials of the micro and nano worlds” at ICMAB, and also as part of SECPHO and the Energy for Society Network (XRE4S). We also participated in many technology transfer and innovation events, such as Transfiere 2022 or Puzzle X. Finally, we participated in the first TECNIO congress on “technology transfer to generate high-impact innovation”. The president of the TECNIO Association is one of our reserchers, Nora Ventosa.
Social media 2016-2022
Social media 2022
OUTREACH AND SCIENCE EDUCATION EVENTS
We continued our activities to reach the general public and young students in schools. We got funding from the FECTYT to produce 10 videos of our research explained for a general audience, YouMaker, in collaboration with El Periódico.
With the focus on secondary school students, we continued to work with ESCOLAB form the Barcelona Council, to match our science outreach activities with the scholar curriculum, and prepared accordingly some activities and a video for their channel, and we continued our educational programmes with Fundació Catalunya La Pedrera (Bojoer per la Ciència, Joves i Ciència) and with ICE-UAB (Programa Argó). Many of our researchers participated in the Nanoinventum project, to bring nanoscience to primary school students.
We also continued participating on the Barcelona Science Festival, the European Researcher’s Night, the Saló de l’Ensenyamnet and the Science Week. We also participated in many events and talks for the International Day of Women and Girls in Science (11F).
Science Outreach Videos
- Ten videos (and their corresponding trailers) for the “YouMaker: this is how science is made” project
- Avancem en la immunoteràpia contra el càncer amb materials 3D. Amb Judith Guasch i Ignacio Crespo
- Podem fabricar memòries més eficients que el propi cervell? Amb Ignasi Fina i Anna Morales
- Fabriquem superconductors en un temps rècord. Amb Teresa Puig i Dani Jiménez
- Transformem calor en electricitat amb un simple paper. Amd Mariano Campoy, Anna Laromaine i Guillermo Orduña
- Nanomedicaments magnètics per tractar l’ictus. Amb Anna Solé i Andrea Stephany
- Bateries recarregables de calci. Amb Ashley Black i Dani Jiménez
- Aprofitem l’energia del sol amb plàstics de colors. Amb Mariano Campoy i Ignacio Crespo
- Fabriquem el sòlid més lleuger del món. Amb Elies Molins i Andrea Stephany
- Espases làsers al laboratori per emmagatzemar energia. Amb Ángel Pérez i Anna Morales
- Transistors orgànics per detectar biomolecules. Amb Carme Martínez i Guillermo Orduña
- One video in our outreach section:
- Two videos for the “What The Fisica” YouTube channel:
- One video for the ALBA Synchrotron YouTube channel:
- A video for MATERLAND project (with SOCIEMAT) about Women in Science
- Collaboration in a ESCOLAB video “ESCOLAB meets…”
A researcher in your classroom
- 11 talks from our researchers in the programme “A researcher in your classroom”, especially for the Science Week
- Transición ecologica: Nanomateriales al rescate (with Ángel Pérez, at Agrupación Astronómica de Sabadell)
- Ángel Pérez gave a talk about the Universe on Wednesday, 16 Nov 2022, at the Creanova School in Sant Cugat, for students of 4th ESO (aged 15-16 years).
- Anna Crespi, Judith Oró and Roberta Ceravola gave some workshops about the "fantastic properties of materials and the nanoworld" at the Institut Vallès in Sabadell, for students of 2nd ESO (13-14 years old) on 15 November 2022
- Anna Crespi, Judith Oró and Roberta Ceravola gave some workshops about the "fantastic properties of materials and the nanoworld" at Escola Itaca, Barcelona, for students of 5th course (10-11 years old) on 22 November 2022.
- Judith Oró also participated in the "A researcher in your classroom" programme with a talk at Institut Castellar in Castellar del Vallès, for a talk on electron microscopy research.
- What is sand made of? We discover it with highschool students at Institut MIrades (Barcelona) with Anna Crespi, Judith Oró and Roberta Ceravola
- "Presentation on the working life of a scientist and subsequent reports on graphene at the DOLMAN vocational school, L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona" with Núria Aliaga
- Istituto Italiano Statale Comprensivo Scuola Sec. di I grado, Liceo E. Amaldi. 2 clases BTX with Riccardo Rurali
- Institut Narcís Monturiol (Barcelona) (taller propietats materials) with Anna Crespi, Judith Oró and Roberta Ceravola
- Escola Dr, Trueta (Viladecans) (Taller Conductivitat) with Roberta Ceravola
- Escola primària Escoleta (Bellaterra) (Taller minerals a la vida quotidiana) with Anna Crespi
Science Education programmes
- BOJOS PER LA FÍSICA: The "Bojos per la Física" did a session on Physics and Science Communication at ICMAB (Fundació Catalunya La Pedrera) (1 October 2022)
- JOVES I CIÈNCIA: July is the time for the "Joves i Ciència" internships at ICMAB (4-29 July 2022)
- PROGRAMA ARGÓ: Six students at ICMAB within the Argó Program 2022 (27 June – 15 July 2022)
- ESCOLAB: ESCOLAB programme: Connectem Recerca i Aula (connect science and research) with Esocla Singuerlín (Santa Coloma) (May-June 2022) and attendance to the event to present the “Connectem Recerca i Aula” projects (2 May 2022)
- CIENTÍFICS EN JOC: Participation in the videogame contest “Científics en Joc” (M. Rosa Palacín) with Escola Pompeu Fabra (Parets del Vallès)
- NANOINVENTUM: Participation in the NANOINVENTUM programme, to bring nanoscience to primary school students (February – May 2022)
European Researchers’ Night
- Workshop "Discover ICMAB: a research center on advanced functional materials" in CosmoCaixa for the European Researchers' Night (Anna Crespi, Judith Oró, Roberta Ceravola)
- Talk "Nous materials per ordinadors més eficients que el cervell?" (New materials for computers more efficient than the brain?) in CosmoCaixa for the European Researchers' Night (Ignasi Fina)
- Talk "Saving energy one byte at a time" in CosmoCaixa for the European Researchers' Night (Can Onur Avci)
- Talk "YouMaker: així es fa la ciència" in CosmoCaixa for the European Researchers' Night (Anna May)
- Talk "Estem envoltats d'ones electromagnètiques?" (Are we surrounded by electromagnetic waves?) for the European Researchers' Night (Delegació CSIC) (Martí Gich)
- "La màgia de la llum i la conversió fotovoltaica" (The magic of light and photovoltaic conversion) for the European Researchers' Night (Casino Vic) (Josep Fontcuberta)
- "Materials orgànics per mòduls fotovoltaics" (Organic materials for photovoltaics) for the European Researchers' Night (Trinitat Vella) (Sergi Riera)
Participation in science outreach events
- FESTA DE LA CIÈNCIA BARCELONA: Antibiotic resistance talk at Barcelona Science Festival (Festa de la Ciència) "Nano-Resist" (Karla Mayolo) (28-29 May 2022)
- FIRA DE RECERCA EN DIRECTE: elegans at the Fira de Recerca en Directe 2022 at CosmoCaixa Barcelona (Anna Laromaine, Amanda Muñoz, Sumithra Srinivasan) (27-30 April 2022)
- SALÓ DE L’ENSENYAMENT: The ICMAB project YouMaker at EspaiCiència of the "Saló de l'Ensenyament" 2022: materials’ properties and superconductivity (Judith Oró; Anna Crespi; Anna May; Cornelia Pop; Pedro Barusco; Aiswarya Kethamkuzhi) (17-19 March 2022)
Women in Science events
Talks for Women in Science during 11F: International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Lourdes Fàbrega, "Nanotecnologia per entendre l'Univers", Centre Cívic de Sant Miquel de Fluvià (Girona)
- Lourdes Fàbrega "Dones científiques: una història de reptes", Centre Cívic de Sant Miquel de Fluvià (Girona)
- Imma Ratera, from the Nanomol-Bio Group, will give a talk at the Institut Jaume Callís, Vic "Dones que treballem en nanociència" (#100tífiques)
- Arancha González, from the Functional Nanomaterials & Surfaces (FunNanoSurf) Group, will give a talk at the Escola Tabor, Barcelona (#100tífiques)
- Anna Laromaine, from the Nanoparticles & Nanocomposites (NN) Group, will give a talk at the Institut El Pont de Suert, El Pont de Suert (#100tífiques)
- Susagna Ricart, from the Superconducting Materials and Large Scale Nanostructures (SUMAN) Group, will give a talk at the Escola Muntanyola, Muntanyola (#100tífiques)
- Miriam de Miguel from the Scientific Services, will give a talk at the Casa Nostra School (#100tífiques)
- Darla Mare from the Nanoparticles & Nanocomposites (NN) Group, will give a talk at the Escola Joviat, Manresa (6th grade) (#100tífiques)
- Ana M. López from the Solid State Chemistry (SSC) Group, will give a talk at the Institut La Garrotxa, Olot (#100tífiques)
- Què és la Nanociència? - Anna Roig from the Nanoparticles & Nanocomposites (NN) Group, will give a talk on nanomedicine at the association Aules d’Extensió Universitària “Delfí Dalmau i Argemir” de Caldes de Montbui. (#100tífiques)
Other activities related to Women in Science
- Leading research experts meet at the UAB campus for "Science and Entrepreneurship in Feminine" (with Nora Ventosa, UAB, 18 Nov 2022 Science Week)
- Dramatised Lecture “Madame Châtelet and her Instagram followers” the NeuroArt Festival at CCCB (15 March 2022)
- Activities in the Sant Celoni Library (Biblioteca L’Escorxador) for the 11F: talk, scientific workshops and exhibition
- Parlem de... Ciència en femení? (Let's talk about... science from a women perspective) (Anna Laromaine)
- Vine a descobrir les propietats sorprenents dels materials (Come to discover the amazing properties of materials) (Anna Crespi, Judith Oró, Roberta Ceravola)
- Matheroes: Supermaterials, els herois del futur (the supermaterials of the future)
- Women in Science Wikimarathon on 8 Feb 2022, organized by PRBB
- Event organized at ICMAB for the 11F: International Day of Women and Girls in Science (11 Feb 2022)
- Women in electrochemistry untold stories: Vicenta Arnal, a Spanish scientist in the 1930s – By M. Rosa Palacín, ICMAB-CSIC
- An academy of one’s own: Émilie du Châtelet – By Xavier Roqué, Institute of History of Science, IHC-UAB
- Escape The Barriers – By Amanda Muñoz, ICMAB-CSIC
- Ten videos (and their corresponding trailers) for the “YouMaker: this is how science is made” project
We managed to increase our impact externally through our website, social networks, and media impacts, sending over 13 press releases and producing three videos for the Catalan Television (TV3), apart from participating in radio programmes. We updated our website, especially the research units and groups website, but also the scientific and technical services website, and created more merchandising material for our staff and visitors. We also collaborated with the Technology Transfer Unit to disseminate our technological offers.
- 36 videos for our YouTube channel with more than 57k views
- 15,218 followers in our 5 social media: Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebookand Youtube
- 2 Telegram channels, one internal (over 180 ICMABers) and one externalchannel
- 17 press releasessent with more than 112 impacts in press, specialized websites, radio and TV
- Collaboration with the CSIC Investiga journal
- ICMAB at CSIC Investiga Special Issue on H2020
- ICMAB at CSIC INVESTIGA: Energy Research pushing for energy transition
- Collaboration in the CSIC White Paper books (Health, Energy, Digital Information, Universe)
- 1,500 monthly users in our website and 10 websites created for schools, projects and workshops
- 1 weekly Newsletter with over 600 subscribers
- Participation in the TV3 programme “Xplorers” about research in Catalunya
- Participation in the SAYANSI podcast "Els bons bacteris" with Irene Anton
- Two videos about two innovations and technology transfer:
- Electrochemical sensor to detect water pollutants in situ (with Martí Gich)
- New technology to measure thermal conductivity (with Sebastián Reparaz)
- Participation in the Battery Generation Podcast with “Multivalent Batteries (with M. Rosa Palacín)
- Participation in communication and outreach conferences
- Annual Congress of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (IV CANN-2022) (with Anna Roig)
- "From complex materials to complex systems is a long process: that is why we need multidisciplinarity" Xavier Obradors takes the stage at 4YFN
- A new edition of 100xCiencia.6 SOMMa meeting is here: 3 Nov 2022 in Barcelona (and live stream)
- "YouMaker: do’s and don’ts" will be presented at Campus Gutenberg-CosmoCaixa #CGutenberg22 (with Anna May)
- Jornadas de Cultura Científica y Ciencia Ciudadana del CSIC (with Anna May and Lydia Gallego)
- Cafè amb la Recerca (FCRI) (with Josep Llobet)
We organized many events for our staff internally, such as celebrations, contests, escape rooms and honorary workshops, to keep our staff communicated and involved in the center.
- Our traditional photo contest for our staff: FOTICMAB 2022
- 3 celebrations for ICMABers: Sant Jordi with book recommendations, our ICMAB anniversary party and our Christmas celebration in honour to the new ad honorem
- We posted many seminars, courses and PhD Thesis defense videos on our Intranet
- We also did many merchandising for our staff and visitors (T-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, notebooks, etc) so that everyone could feel part of our Institute
During 2022 we hosted many courses, workshops, schools and seminars for our staff, most of them already in-person, but with the possibility of joining online from home or the office. We continued our Mentoring Programme for our PhDs, 33 of which defended their PhD thesis. In addition, many of our researchers attended and organized many internacional scientific conferences all around the world and in different topics. Some of our researchers and staff participate in formal training educational programmes in different universities.
SCIENTIFIC WORKSHOPS AND COURSES
- ICMAB celebrates the week for Safety and Health at work 2022 (25-29 April 2022)
- Open Doors at our Scientific Equipment Platforms (29 June 2022)
- European Conference on Boron Chemistry (EuroBoron) (3-7 July 2022)
- Summer School on Sustainable Materials for Renewable Energy Applications (SURE 2022) (11-15 July 2022)
- New edition of the Soft Lab course on characterization and preparation of particulate materials (3-5 October 2022)
- Severo Ochoa Workshop on “Electrical and optical active molecular materials for bio-applications” (ACTIVE2022) (6-7 October 2022)
OTHER SEMINARS AND COURSES
- Women in Science Wikimarathon (8 Feb 2022)
- New Online Spintronics Journal Club (from April 2022)
- "YouMaker: do’s and don’ts" (Campus Gutenberg-CosmoCaixa (19-20 Sept 2022)
- Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) meeting (17-18 Nov 2022)
6 Special Seminars
- Women in Science: Women in electrochemistry untold stories: Vicenta Arnal, a Spanish scientist in the 1930s (By M. Rosa Palacín, ICMAB-CSIC), An academy of one’s own: Émilie du Châtelet (By Xavier Roqué, Institute of History of Science, IHC-UAB), Escape The Barriers (By Amanda Muñoz, ICMAB-CSIC) (11 Feb 2022)
- "Cómo sacarle el máximo partido a las medidas de Calorimetría de Titulación Isotérmica con el software AFFINImeter" by Juan Sabín (Wed, 23 March 2022)
- "How to take your technology to market, key points" by Cruz Mendigutía, BeAble Capital (Mon, 23 May)
- My experience at AEI: Tips for great applications and implementation of national projects by Mariano Campoy-Quiles (28 July)
- Open Access Seminar: "Barra Libre" by Alejandro Santos (Fri, 21 Oct 2022)
- "Preparation and characterization of SOFT Materials" Technical Seminar by Amable Bernabé (Mon, 28 Nov 2022)
22 Invited Seminars and ICMAB Periodical Lectures
- "Electrochemically gated charge transport in redox proteins and photosynthetic complexes" by Pau Gorostiza (Mon, 31 Jan 2022)
- "Molecular and nanomaterials chemistry" by Kasper Moth-Poulsen (Mon, 28 Feb 2022)
- "DNA-mediated self-assembly of optical antennas for single-photon emitters" by Guillermo Pedro Acuna (Fri, 4 March 2022)
- "Interfacing bipolar electrochemistry with living systems" by Frankie Rawson (U. Nottingham) (Mon, 14 March 2022)
- "Challenges with development of sodium-ion batteries" by Reza Younesi (Mon, 4 April 2022)
- "Hybrid perovskites from photovoltaics to memory applications" by Antonio Guerrero (Tues, 3 May 2022)
- "Energy transfer in two-dimensional arrays of nanostructures" by Alejandro Manjavacas (Fri, 6 May 2022)
- "National Fusion Laboratory: strategy and perspectives" by Carlos Hidalgo (CIEMAT) (8 July 2022)
- "Interplay between structure, magnetism, and correlations in molybdate and nickelate perovskite oxides" by Cyrus Dreyer (Wed, 13 Jul 2022)
- Boosting the stimulated emission properties of host:guest polymer blends by disruption of exciton transport by Juan Cabanillas (Thurs, 21 July)
- "Nanoscale Control of Light and Energy" by Dan Congreve (Mon, 24 Oct 2022)
- "Mapping structural rippling and strain in van der Waals heterostructures" by Gabriel Sánchez Santolino (Wed, 26 Oct 2022)
- "Conjugated polymers for organic electronics" by Ergang Wang (Fri, 28 Oct 2022)
- From Nottingham to ICMAB: 2 Short Seminars on Energy and Battery Materials (2 Nov 2022)
- "Technological Innovation in Electrical Engineering" by Bruno Wanderley (Mon, 7 Nov 2022)
- "What can Einstein's Electrons tell us about Tomorrow's Materials?" by Kyle Shen (Mon, 14 Nov 2022)
- "Nanoparticles in BNCT" by Simonetta Geninatti (Mon, 21 Nov 2022)
- "From the oil barrel to reactive metals: An approach to the energy transition" by Stefano Passerini (Mon, 21 Nov 2022)
- "On the alignment of macromolecules, polarised photodetectors and condoms" by Aleksandr Perevedentsev (Mon, 12 Dec 2022)
- "Polymer nanoparticles. Physical properties and possible applications" by Aurora Nogales (Fri, 16 Dec 2022)
- "Model and analysis of SQUID arrays operating at high-temperature" by Marc Galí (Fri, 16 Dec 2022)
- "Low-voltage Electron Microscopy of 2D and 3D functional materials" by Roger Guzman (Mon, 19 Dec 2022)
PhD THESIS DEFENSE
In total, by the end of 2022 the ICMAB PhD researchers carrying out their PhD Thesis with us amounted 153 (42 % women and 58 % men).
During 2022, 33 PhD theses were defended, 9 women (27 %) and 24 men (73 %). Of the 57 supervisors of the graduated fellows, 31 were women (54 %) and 26 men (46 %).
Congratulations to all our 2022 ICMAB PhD graduates:
Mónica Bernal, Pedro Barusco, Isabel Guerrero Troyano, Miquel Torras, Alejandro Fernández Rodríguez, Juan D. Forero Saboya, Roberto Fabião Santos Abreu, Artur Romanov, Wid Mekseriwattana, Adrián Tamayo Serra, Martí Gibert Roca, Sergi Martín Rio, Julio Fraile, Xiaodong Zhang, Lídia Ballell, Rana Adel, Adara Babuji, Wenchao Duan, Tingfeng Song, Minghua Kong, Zhen Li, Wenhai Wang, Laura Fuentes, Sohini Sinha, Yunwei Sheng, Jinhui Hu, Alejandro Borrás, Pablo García Lebière, Miquel Nuez Martínez, Adrian Crespo Villanueva, Xiao Long, Jinghai Li, and AJesús Alejandro De Sousa Rodríguez.
In 2022 ICMAB was awarded with its second Marie Sklodowska Curie COFUND programme. DocFam+ (DOCtoral training programme in Functional Advanced Materials: Towards a Better Future) is a doctoral programme that will recruit 26 extremely talented doctoral researchers to conduct their research at ICMAB and our partner organisations: ALBA Synchrotron Lightsource (ALBA-CELLS), Catalan Institute of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology (ICN2), Catalonia Energy Research Institute (IREC), High Energy Physics Institute (IFAE), the Institute of Microelectronics of Barcelona (IMB-CNM-CSIC) and the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB).
It builds on the success and remarkable outcomes from the original DOCFAM programme, and takes a step further, enhancing the potential and future career perspectives of recruited fellows and consolidating the excellence and outstanding track record of the participating entities. The frontier research programme will be complemented with advanced training aspects in an integrating holistic approach to the training of doctoral fellows through a combination of research-oriented and soft skills.
Our 2 MSCA-COFUND projects (DocFam+ and DOC-FAM) are the only MSCA-COFUND projects that CSIC has as beneficiary.
ICMAB is one of the host institutions of the NFFA-Europe (Nanofoundries for fine analysis) project for the synthesis and characterization at the nanoscale across Europe, which started in 2015 and finished in March 2021. ICMAB is also part of the continuation of NFFA-Europe project as NFFA-Europe Pilot (NEP) until 2025.
Severo Ochoa Frontier Interdisciplinary Projects (FIP)
FIPs are an internal call of proposals for researchers of the Institute aimed for the development of both experimental and theoretical frontier interdisciplinary research projects through the exploration of innovative and radical novel ideas and methodologies. The objective is to generate cutting-edge research and innovative technologies in the application areas of the FUNFUTURE Programme: clean & secure energy, smart & sustainable electronics or smart nanomedicine.
During 2022, 17 FIP projects are active. Those projects explore novel ideas and methodologies (Category A), or develop proof-of-concept technologies (Category B). Ten FIP projects were awarded in the second call, during 2022, and seven in the first call in 2021.
Talent attraction and recruiting
One of our main strategic priority actions is to continue attracting scientific talent, in all the stages of the scientific career, and research technicians and support staff. We also aim to continue improving our current training programs, for all our staff, to educate and guide our young researchers through their first years of research live, and to boost our internationalization.
During 2022 we welcomed several postdoctoral researchers, among them, 1 Junior Leader “la Caixa” (Pankaj Bharmoria), 1 Juan de la Cierva Researcher (Elzbieta Pach), 2 new MSCA PF: Cristina Flox and Sergi Riera, and 3 more MSCA PF researchers will start in 2023 (Silvia Damerio, Daniel Martin and Muhammad Ahsan Saeed).
We welcomed 1 visiting scientific professor on sabbatical from Cornell University (New York, USA), Kyle Shen, who was hosted by the MULFOX group.
Many early stage researchers started their PhD with us in 2022, 3 with FPI contracts, and 3 with grants from the China Scholarship Council (CSC), 11 SEVERO OCHOA, 1 AGAUR (Innovadors) 1 Elisabeth Gonzalez Mira.
We received many undergraduate and master students who carried out their bachelor and master research project with us. We had 15 of them with JAE Intro grants.
Our Research Support Unit also grew: Christopher Albornoz and Jose Angel Burriel in the Project Justification area, Artur Martínez in Communication, Begoña Peña in the Purchases office, Sara Herraiz as Executive Assistant and Elena Santamaria as General Services and Administration.
Incorporation of new technicians (Eduardo Perez del Rio, PTA – MINECO)
Finally, three of our researchers became ad honorem, and we celebrated the Christmas 2022 in their honor: Xavier Granados, Clara Viñas and Francesc Teixidor.